Suffering from knee pain is not uncommon to many. Knee pain occurs in any of the knee joints or ligaments, cartilage. Various factors are responsible for generating knee pain. It can originate due to intensified physical activity or obesity. These causes affect the surrounding muscles of the knee and keep people away from the movement.
Causes of Knee pain
Knee pain develops due to the following reasons.
- Severe injury:- Broken bone, meniscal tear, cause knee pain.
- Arthritis: Knee pain occurs due to various medical situations like rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis.
Symptoms of knee pain
Knee pain gives rise to inflammation, and this process makes the entire knee swollen. People may suffer minor to severe ache due to the inflammation. Symptoms that people suffer are:
- Difficulty in walking due to inability to move the knee.
- People may start limping due to pain.
- A ligament may get damaged, and people find it tough to use stairs.
- The knee becomes red and swollen.
How to diagnose knee pain
Before starting the treatment for knee pain, a proper diagnosis of knee pain is necessary. The doctors will conduct a physical examination and can ask for tests. Doctors will exam the knee for swelling, pain, and tenderness. They will check whether the patient can move the lower leg in a different direction or not. By diagnosing the reason, they will understand the integrity of the pain. The doctors will ask for some tests like X-ray, CT scan, ultrasound, MRI, etc.
Treatment for knee pain
Depending on the cause of knee pain, the treatment of the pain will vary.
- Medications: – Doctors may prescribe medicines for patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, gout, etc.
- Therapy: – On verifying the condition of the knee pain, doctors suggest some strengthening exercises.
- Injections and surgery: – Doctors may suggest injecting medication into the knee joint. If necessary, doctors may also refer for knee replacement surgery.